Gist : I Am Not Broke - Fimile Singer Kas Explains His Absence

Fimile singer, Karounwi Olakunle, aka Kas, in a chat with Punch shedded light on why he's been too quiet, and not partaking of the endorsement feast Nigerian music top celebrities are flaunting these days, plus new acquired rides.

When Punch correspondent asked him in a telephone interview on Tuesday, noting that he is likely to have been broke, Kas was very quick to debunk the notion, saying:
I have been busy. The truth is that you cannot rely on music alone. Hence, the diversification. So, it's amazing that people can ever think I am broke. God forbid, I am not broke.


 Amidst laughter, he adds:
"I'll run back to London, if I ever become broke. I have a sachet and bottle water-
producing company, which used to be based in Maryland, Lagos.

However due to an overwhelming demand from customers, I had to shut it down and open a much bigger one in Surulere.

Citing God as his inspiration, the artiste, who shot into limelight with his 2010 club hit, Fimile, says he recently gave the movie world a shot.
Besides music and business, I played the lead role in a Nollywood film titled Twin Sword. I starred alongside the late Justus Esiri and Ibinabo Fiberesima. The movie bagged nine nominations at the African Academy Movie Awards. That in itself is a great achievement."


The artiste, who also runs an entertainment outfit, sheds light on the reason behind the short-lived music romance he had with Nollywood actress-turned-singer, Tonto Dikeh:
She used to be signed on to my label up to the time she decided to do her own thing. There was no fight or argument as we both agreed to part ways."


Before the split, the latter featured on a song titled Iyawo Mi, alongside Kas. Although it failed to hit critical acclaim and received more knocks than kudos, the artiste,  whose real name is Karounwi Olakunle, defends his choice of Tonto Dikeh on the song.
Tonto Dikeh is a close friend and was in the studio with me one of the days I was working on a track. I already had a beat and asked her to sing on one of them. She initially resisted, but I convinced her to do it. I didn't sign her on for hype sake, but because I saw an innate music talent in her."


After years of co-writing and producing songs with the likes of Sir Shina Peters, M.I, Nneka, Goldie, Naeto C, 2face, Dbanj, and Wande Coal, KAS earned a name for himself when he began to record his own songs. However, three years down the line, he is yet to break into the A list.
So, how does he feel losing out to other artistes?
In response, he waxes philosophical, saying:
You see, the sky is big enough for everyone to fly.  While some of us are doing shows here in Nigeria, some of us are busy doing our things abroad. I recently rounded off a European tour. So, you see,  I have been busy. It is a good thing to get an endorsement deal, and I am happy for those of them who have."

0 Comments, Replies, Suggestions, Yarns: