ADIEU : The Exit Of An Icon -Chinua Achebe



What poetry befits the master of
poetry? With what prose can one begin to describe the be all and end all of Prose? Death where is they sting has no
sting on death.

The Iroko has fallen.
I grew up reading the Iconic novel
“Things fall apart”. It stirred in me so much emotions ranging from bravery to a sense of culture more significant in my case as i had not physically identified with what it was to be an African.

That novel gave a rare gift of
empathy to see through the eyes of our Forebears.

To understand their struggle
and feel what they felt.
I lived with the undying hope that i
would one day be honoured with meeting this Literary giant but alas death as usual had to rear its ugly head.

I sit and ponder on why science has not created immortality. I wonder on the absence of transference of extraordinary knowledge and gifts and I realize that indeed the world has lost something irreplaceable.

Things have really fallen
apart and the center can definitely not hold.

To You Chinua Achebe the man of
unassailable integrity I say Adieu.
To the Iroko that simplified the
mindset of the Gods I say Fare thee well.

We who have been left behind only
hope to do exploits like yours. we hope that one day we too would leave our footprints in the sands of time. we hope not to be the sands that other people”s
footprint are left.

We hope that in times when we are confronted by offers that will compromise the principles we hold dear your sterling example will lift us up like the Israelite lifted the hands of Moses.


If there is a life after death I take solace in the fact that you will be thrilling God and all others with your literary ingenuity.

Fare the well till we meet to part no more Agu(Lion).

We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears. We must not demean life by standing in awe of death

(David Sarnoff).
OBANI CHUKWUEMEKA(LYCEUM OF THE PHILIPINES UNIVERSITY
+639054787261

0 Comments, Replies, Suggestions, Yarns: